Wednesday 12 April 2017

Zambia

I arrived in Lusaka - many names in my pocket of Organic and permaculture farmers and organisations. None of the numbers went through, no replies to my emails but evidently much work being done.  I decided to head south but as I was leaving the apologies came in - Sorry to miss you - ME TOO.
In Livingstone birthplace of my father, I met a wonderful Pastor - Pastor McDonald - a Zambian man who has been given a large piece of land by the Chief in which he hopes to create a sustainable organic farm/ village, with school and community. He has wonderful ideas and I wish him every success. This village could be home for 5000 all going well.  At present the maize growing is totally organic and feeds the people of the land - no selling of the harvest but simply food.  A BIG project but clearly envisioned.
After a wonderful experience of Victoria falls, highest waters in years, and even a helicopter flight to view them, I continued to Bulawayo by bus and then on to Harare by train - a real let down in filth and length of journey.  Luckily Bridget with whom I was to meet invited me to sleep at Pats home in Harare. Although now in Zimbabwe, Bridget was one of those names in my pocket with whom I wished to meet in Zambia.  She, visiting Zimbabwe, was a pleasure to meet. She is the one who goes out to Organic farms and grants them certification if up to standard. Both Pat, her aunt, and she are experienced Organic Permaculture farmers and we had some interesting conversations.
Sorry no pics as ANOTHER camera stolen.  WHHHAAAA! SO FRUSTRATING!!!!

1 comment: